Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Fundraiser Countdown...5 days to go

Where are you going to be in 5 days?  At 6:30 pm...I hope you'll be celebrating with us! 
We are so excited about this fundraiser...really, everything has gone relatively smoothly.  The generosity of our friends and acquaintances and several businesses in town have encouraged us! 
The meaningful conversations we've had have allowed us to share our heart for adoption and how God has faithfully led us to this path for our family.
Here's some of the items we have ready to go for the silent auction portion of our evening:

* 1 hour photo session
* jewelry (Premier, Rusted Chain, handmade)
* canvas art
* photographs of Kansas scenes
* Scentsy
* Family Movie Night basket (with Papa Murphys gift certificate)
* BBQ basket (with Hog Wild gift certificate)
* Water's Edge gift certificate
* Studio 400 product and gift certificate
* Longaberger baskets
* Creative Memories basket
* cheesecake
* dessert for 6 months
* Pennsylvania Dutch cake
* Summer Fun basket
** and so much more...there's over 70 items in our auction

For dessert that night, we are having a menu loaded with fun desserts...come and enjoy...be blessed...we will share our story with you and answer any questions you have! 

Here's a quote that my mom sent me this week:
Adventures, I used to call them.  I used to think that they were things the wonderful folk of the stories went out and looked for, because they wanted them, because they were exciting and life was a bit dull...But that's not the way of it with the tales that really mattered, of the ones that stay in the mind.  Folk seem to have just landed in them, usually...I expect they had a lot of chances, like us, of turning back, only they didn't.  And if they had, we shouldn't know, because they'd have been forgotten.

This is a quote from "Lord of the Rings" by Samwise Gamgee.  Interesting place to find a meaningful quote.  I've never read the book, but I enjoyed the movie (and I'm comfortable with my level of literary knowledge...the movie works for me).

This adoption adventure was certainly not something we sought out due to boredom.  We have three kids who tend to be high maintenance - each in their own way.  We didn't need to fulfill a "number of children" desire.  We both have careers that we enjoy, ministries here at home and a homeschooling schedule that would scare you!  But, here we are.  Raising 28,000 to continue this "adventure." 

The other thing we will share with you on Sunday is the plight of orphans in Ukraine.  Do we think you should all adopt from Ukraine?  No. Does God think you should adopt from Ukraine?  No.  But we all must do something for the orphan and the widow - to that we are called, inexcusably.

So, tomorrow I finish up shopping for the table coverings, take Isaiah to speech therapy (I never really thought I'd be that speech therapist mother who takes their kid to another speech therapist for therapy but...it's working really well and is helping to maintain my relationship with Isaiah without so much pressure to constantly work on these difficult speech skills), have lunch with my sister (visiting from Texas), mom, grandma, aunt and kids at Chipotle.  It should be a really fun day!

Then, I have to make monster cookies...we are having homemade ice cream sandwiches with monster cookies and vanilla ice cream as one of the options on Sunday...

I have started a new Bible Study - it's one that's on my iphone from UVersion Bible - if you have a smartphone, check it out.  I've chosen the one from Hosea.  One of my most favorite stories in the Bible is from Hosea - when this Godly prophet is called to take an unfaithful wife and have children with her and continuously return to her...I like the parallel picture of God's constant return to me.  I can act like that silly woman...running from what is best and longing after things that hurt me.  I have been chased into the wilderness and pursued by the God of the Universe...when will I learn?  I'm working on it.  Check out this Bible Study - I read day one today and think it's going to be great! 

Hope to see you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment